Monday, March 8, 2010

Review: The Oscars

And the nominees for best picture are: http://www.collegehumor.com/article:1802286


Highlights:
  • Tyson thinking Jeff Bridges was Billy Ray Cyrus.
  • Musical number by NPH. I love him, I want him to be my best friend, and next year's Oscar host. Please Academy, pretty please!!
  • The hosts. They lived up to my expectations, which were very high.
  • Tribute to John Hughes.
  • Tribute to short films.
  • Queen Latifa. She looked amazing, as always.
  • Sandy Powell's dress. She proved that she deserves the award for best costume design.
  • Horror montage. 
  • Celebrating Morgan Freeman's voice, narrating the sound editing video.
  • As usual, a respectful and tear jerking memorial. James Taylor was a very nice touch this year, especially singing one of my favourite songs. They really know how to jerk my tears. However, where was Farah?
  • Dance representation of original score nominees. The Up robot was weird.... Did they know what the movie is about?
  • Being creative is not a waste of time!
  • The Cove, for making me burst into tears every time I think about it. 
  • First female to win best director. My fourth year theatre seminar thesis was about female directors, so I know this win was a long time coming.
  • 3.5 hours of solid entertainment. 12 of my predictions and 3 of my hopes panned out, and overall I'm pleased with the results. Academy, you may exhale.

Negatives:
  • George Clooney's attitude. What's wrong big guy?
  • Commercials cutting off some of the jokes. The award for terrible timing goes to... CTV!!
  • Kristen Stewart? Um, hi, this is kind of a big deal, take some buckleys, and calm down. I know it must be nerve wracking to be on that stage, but if you can't handle it, maybe you're in the wrong business.
  • Vera Farmiga's dress. I didn't watch the red carpet show, so I'm sure she wasn't the worst dressed, but she was the worst that I saw walk on stage. Sarah Jessica Parker was a close second with a weird dress and terrible hair, I expected a lot more.
  • Jimmy Kimmel live... with no one that won or was nominated for an award this year! ...huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment