Saturday, March 23, 2013

Homemade Vegan Baileys

Last weekend for St. Patrick's Day/Weekend, I had a craving for Baileys, so I decided to make my own vegan Irish Cream! I found a vegan and nut-free recipe on "oh she glows" and tweaked it a little based on what I already had in my kitchen.


Ingredients:
  • 1 can light coconut milk
  • 1 can full-fat coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup agave nectar
  • 3/4 cup brewed coffee (I only have instant, but better coffee would likely make better Irish Cream.)
  • 1 cup Inishowen Irish Whiskey (any Irish Whiskey is fine, Jameson is the standard but the bf and I wanted to try something new for St. Patrick's Day.)
  • A pinch of salt


 1. I put the cans of coconut milk into a medium pot and whisked on medium heat. I then increased the heat to allow the liquid to boil, stirring frequently. Then I reduced the heat and let the pot simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the coconut milk became a little thicker.

2. Then I removed the pot from the hot element and stirred in the coffee, then a pinch of salt, and finally the Irish Whiskey.

4. I tried to store all of it in one mason jar but there was too much! So I found other containers to put the rest in.

I also bought vegan stout beer so I could have Irish Car-bombs for the first time, and they were DELICIOUS! 

Overall, this was a big hit with my friends and I will definitely make it again! I'll probably use better coffee, and I might try to find a recipe using something other than coconut milk, because although I like coconut, it overpowers the other flavours. Also, we noticed that the mixture separates after awhile, but it just needs a good stir. 
Happy belated St. Patrick's Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment